twitter




Saturday, October 24, 2009

Best running shoes for patellofemoral syndrome, aka runner's knee?

I've determined I have Patellofemoral Syndrome (Runners Knee) and need to know what I should be looking for in a shoe? I go to the gym regularly and run on the treadmill, stepper, eliptical and lift. I recently bought a pair of Nike Shox last fall and started having knee problems this spring. I don't know if they had anyting to do with it or not. I've been working out since highschool and I've never had knee issues. Also I have upped what I run from 3, to 4, now up to 5 miles so that could also play a part in it.





Any specific shoe or a brand to stick with or type of shoe would be helpfull. Thanks.

Best running shoes for patellofemoral syndrome, aka runner's knee?
I have runner's knee too, and my doctor said the shoes I'm in are just fine. I wear Asics (the Gel Landreth model) and I have for a couple years- they're great %26amp; they last a long time. I wouldn't use Nikes as your main running shoe- they wear out faster and are built more for style then for athletics. Plus, they don't generally last as long when you run in them consistantly. I don't know that the shoes have much to do with your problem, though. My doc gave me a bunch of stretches to do and those work well, plus I wear a small band around my knee to give it support. Check with your doctor- I found out that my problem was mainly caused by the fact that my major muscles, like my calves, achilles, and quadriceps are too tight, so most of my stretches actually stretch those muscles.
Reply:i had knee problems until i switched to the Brooks GTS 7, there for over-pronators, which was causing my problems. But your recent increase in mileage might also be whats causing your knee pain- you might need to take a break or decrease the length of your runs. It can also be the way you run- make sure you are not jolting your joints- try to land on the sole of your foot and absorb the impact into your muscles- it sounds wierd but i started focusing on that and my knee pain went away.



visual arts uk

No comments:

Post a Comment